Tuesday 18 November 2014

Another benefit of home schooling

Every body has their own view of home schooling.  If they believe that it is a good thing or not, it really is a personal choice.

My brother for example thinks that it is a terrible thing and that we are going to affect Williams mental, social and educational well being in the future. He isn't a lone in his views. However, a lot of people see the mass benefits of it.

Last night,  as I was working as a quiz master at our local pub, I was surprised with how supporting,  open minded and approving the 'regulars' were of it; And some debating with my brother expressing their views on how he was wrong. ( I loved that, but that's probably sibling rivalry for you)

The regulars commented on how I,  as a single stay-at-home dad, coped really well with the boys, that they are really well behaved for me (even if I don't always think so) and how they admire that ive taken a leading approach to improve Williams education.

All this was lovely to see and hear.  Yet there are so many people who would still look worryingly at me because of it.

This morning, however, showed me a valid reason ( of which I've got many) to why I home school

We sat down, read one book and was about to start our spelling and common frequency w

ords and William burst into tears. When I finally managed to calm him down he told me he was tired. 5 mins later, after marching himself off to bed, this happened:



As it stands I have no idea what is wrong with my poor boy,  yet clearly there's something,  he's either tired or unwell but what is clear is that he needed this.
If he was at school he would plod through the day trying and feeling not himself. Or worst case be sent home unwell, which would leave an adult leaving work or another adult taking care of him.  Yet today I have just gone 'OK today is not our day for home schooling and we'll get better'

No fuss, no worry and no stress. William's well being has been centralised to the day now and that's what matters.

As the title says, another benefit of home schooling.

No comments: