Wednesday 12 November 2014

Remembrance Day

Yesterday we saw and remembered the 100 years since the start of World War 1.

The boys and I visited our regular church on Sunday to take part in the remembrance. Three different bits took place that I wanted to cover briefly on here.

The first part was that we remembered not only as a church but also as a community, this was a lovely experience and although we usually have the occasional community group joining us we had a lot of them together. We remembered with Our Local Primary School, Who brought their choir to sing three songs or which showed a range of remembrance from a old song (White Cliffs of Dover), a tribal song to show our allies within the war) and A mournful short piece for all service men and women who have died since. We had a coach full of people from the local age concern centre, who found the service thoughtful. We were joined by our local councilman who laid a reef on our behalf as well as the relevant bible reading. We were joined by our local Beavers, Cubs, Scouts, Brownies and Guides who not only brought and lowered their flags in tribute but the guides also read home a letter from a solider within the war, prompting a very thought provoking message about what life on the front line was like. Finally, We were also joined by the local WI, whose time and patience were fully appreciated after the service, which I will explain about later on in the post.

The service itself, led by, our Curate there, Sue was short but it definitely left considering faith, our own relationship with God, as well as what the service men would have felt.



It was based on a small book, the Gospel of John that was passed out to all soldiers before they crossed the channel and subsequently one soldiers letter to the Gospel book producers (Which is now place at the back of the republished copy) the letter reads:


“When your small Testaments were distributed on the Common at Southampton, I, among others, accepted one in a more derisive than a complimentary manner.” So begins one of the

any letters from soldiers that SGM received during the First World War. “I little dreamed
that I should use it and find in it great consolation in lonely hours” it goes on. “I have learned to realise the great personality of the Saviour. When at night I have been on duty alone with Him by my side, and the Germans but thirty yards away, I realised that I needed more than my own courage to stand the strain. When the shells of the enemy have burst periodically at my feet I have marvelled at the fact of still being alive. Just a few lines to let you know that I have filled in the decision form at the end of the Gospel of John that was given to me at the station I accept Christ as my saviour. I wish you would pray for me in the hour of trial.”


The reading of this just made you realise that the search for something to give you hope in that time brought comfort to many in their hour of need.

The third part of the service was actually after it. We booked the hall opposite to the church where we held a WWI themed bring and share gathering. Where it was decorated and had themed music on in the background. The WI were amazing, as were other members of the community, to organise food and drinks here. The boys and I contributed as well with myself making a traditional themed Pork and Cider Terrine served with toast and William making a WW1 recipe for a pumpkin cake, both of which went down well.

Overalls it was a fitting remembrance service that brought our community of Sittingboure and Bobbing together, with a thoughtful message and reminder of what is won and lost in all wars. But ultimately it showed that we as a community gathered to for one thing that we not forget the past and sacrifcies made that have brought us here today.

As for least we forget the fallen soilders of yesterday, there are pople who have faught and died for us without even knowing who we are and we always need to remember and try our best to do anything so what they did is not in vain. Lest we forget.

Below I have also uploaded a few photos of the day.
 
 
 
 
 
 



 
 

 

No comments: