Thursday 15 January 2015

Home School Inspection

So yesterday we had our first Home School inspection.

It's a strange one to be honest.

70% of home school families refuse to have an inspection, the law doesn't specify that you have to, and there is  no real right or wrong way to home school.

That being said if you do allow the inspection it is up to the person visiting to, in their best efforts, guide and support you to educate your child/children to what the government classes as a minimal education. For example: Giving a parent a curriculum topics and guidelines for appropriate learning objectives.


I am pleased to say that we passed with flying colours!

I ended up answering the questions as the leading parent in the educational programming.

I provided, in detail, extensive lesson plans for a full curriculum cover, not only showing progression, aimed solely for Williams age appropriate and personal levels. These showed a clear learning objectives with achievable learning outcomes.

Great aye?

I provided, only for Sunday to Wednesday morning, enough evidence to calculate as much work as expected for a child his age for a whole week. Although their Mum didn't have any evidence, being classed as 3 days of free Child led learning based on the topics provided in the planning, as well as, some basic evidence from the previous days with me; this meant that William was achieving more than a child his age should be doing!


Embedded image permalink

My blog was praised as an acceptable assessment record, documenting and recording each stage as well as evidence of projects that could be read and reviewed at a later stage.

His assessments and test are showing that he is above average in all areas apart for Maths where he is at average.

I have provided enough resources independently that were age appropriate and relevant to the topics.

Overall he is not only thriving in this environment but also experiencing more than a child of his age.

It is suggested that a home school visit is made every 4-6 weeks to support and check all of the child's progress. However, consider what we have shown and provided John will not be seeing us for 12 months!! He will recommend that, even then, it to be a check in rather than an inspection because, in his words, "it is obvious William is being educated to an outstanding level by a leading teaching parent, who has planned and met everything possible, and allowing free learning and support from both parents" as far as he was concerned "there is nothing in his power to improve Williams education and this truly shows that home schooling, if done properly, is far more rewarding than schooling"

So as you can see it was truly amazing and, without being arrogant, I am pretty proud of myself here. Definitely a Daddy proud moment!

Thank everyone for your kind words and support through all of Home Schooling.

13 comments:

Kim Carberry said...

I find that really strange that families refuse to have an inspection....Surely it's better to have the inspection and then they can offer advice....
It sounds like it went really well and that William is doing brilliantly! Well done you! You have every reason to be proud!!

Ally Messed Up Mum said...

Well done mate, chuffed! I'll be sending J down to you as soon as he is old enough... Haha! You're doing so well, an inspiration to anyone thinking of taking this path in education. You have to read this post whenever you have any self doubts, this is amazing x

Unknown said...

Brilliant, I am so pleased to read that but expected nothing less. OUTSTANDING my friend. :)

Martyn Kitney said...

Thanks Kim. I would completely agree....its why we said yes. I think some people see it as a reflection on their parenting skills. I know some though are so against standardised anything that they go against every government system.

Martyn Kitney said...

Thanks Ally! I definitely will do. It's moments like this you've got to hold on to. Send him down!! Lol x

Martyn Kitney said...

Thanks Al! I truly didn't know what to expect but am so pleased.

Unknown said...

That is awesome Martyn, sounds like you had all your t's crossed and i's dotted. To bad the inspector sounds like about 75% of all family law officials in the states. Just assume "mom" or "mum" does it all. It's quite frustrating at times, but congratulations! A pint is on me if I ever cross the pond!

Martyn Kitney said...

Thanks Gary! I surely did and pleased I did too. Sadly get a lot of officials like that here....constant battle. I'll hold you to that pint ;-)

Unknown said...

Well done :) Not that it was obvious to us that you were doing a great job anyway!

Martyn Kitney said...

Thanks Ellen! I don't always see it myself but it's good to get it reinforced too!

Unknown said...

You should be so proud Martyn. Well done!!

Martyn Kitney said...

Thanks Kellie. Am still walking around with a smile on my face. We received the written assessment back..makes it so much better to read the positives too.

pinkoddy said...

I am glad it all went well for you but can understand why those who of an unschooling nature refuse the visits.