Sunday 5 April 2015

Am I Missing my inner Disney Child?



Andrea aka BloggerMumma has declared April as Disney Month to celebrate her 25th birthday (Oh how to be that young again) so I thought I would do a few posts to join in with her with this being my first.

Some of you might be a little confused by this as if you follow me on Twitter then  you would know that I caused a bit of fuss the other day with my declaration of not liking Disney. Now I know this has probably made me an outcast but I thought I would take a moment and to discuss why.
As a child we watched very little TV; watching TV was literally a Saturday morning thing with programmes like ‘Going Live’ and a Sunday afternoon thing where we would watch a family favourite; So this being taken into account I was exposed to much Disney.
That doesn’t mean though that I lived in a different reality and never watched Disney it was just something that wasn't a key part of my childhood. Even growing up in my teens we had the basic four channels so didn’t even have the luxury of watching the Disney Channel like many of my friends did.
Time and time again I watched Disney films and I struggled to be captured by the fun and love of what was being shown to me. Yet that doesn’t mean that I didn’t watch them.
Snow White would always be accompanied with a story by my Dad saying that it was the first film he saw in the pictures and he had to go out half way through because he didn’t like the Queen or the Mirror. (Strange man in many ways)
Fantasia absolutely terrified me. I can’t quite put my finger on why but between that dancing, magic and the music it just did.
Dumbo was a film that made me cry even as a child especially when Dumbo visits his mum and she cuddles him. (Even now it brings a tear to my eye)
And the Elephants on parade truly scared me! What a terrifying sequence!

Although Dumbo is a character that I enjoy especially when you consider that despite his ‘flaws’ and ‘disability’ he became confident in himself and learnt to fly.

There are many more that again I just didn’t grasp.
However; there were two films that did really grab me as the first ones that I went “Oh I like this” and they were Aladdin and The Lion King.
Aladdin was the outcast who dreamed big, blagged his way through life by talking and ultimately had a good heart to make the best decisions. A character that I wanted to be like (Ignoring the fact that he was a thief and a liar in places)
The Lion King, again like Aladdin, showed a child who made mistakes but the true path was always inside him and because of that he grew into a good man.
These two characters were ones that I could back with enjoyable music and a lovely visual display.
But was I captured by Disney? No, I don’t think so. I really don’t know why either.
It hasn’t stopped me from allowing the Boys to watch Disney and subsequently the next Disney post I do it based on their favourite film.
I do wonder though is Disney more of a girl thing? Where girls can be captured by the magic, romance and finding a true love despite what the world thinks of you? Or am I just missing that inner child in me that wants to jump out and be a massive Disney fan?

10 comments:

Becster said...

I'm with you on many points in this - Dumbo made me cry, Fantasia is scary and Aladdin and Lion King are two of the best Disney films. I also grew up with the 4 basic channels so no Disney Channel here either.

However I will admit that I do ike the Disney films. But I'm not quite into the whole Disney franchise. We went to Disneyland for our honeymoon and whilst hubby was enjoying the parades I was rather bored. So maybe I'm missing the inner child as well?

Martyn Kitney said...

Thanks for commenting. I'm glad it's not only me that seems to be missing it! Also glad you agree with the first part.
Disneyland does sound amazing but I feel I'm pretty much going to be the same as you and be rather bored.

Alan said...

I like certain Disney movies, and we took boys to Disneyland Paris. More for rides than the "Disney" name. Much prefer the Pixar movies to watch with the boys. Not sure what will happen with #BabyPink and the Disney Princess lark.

Ashley Beolens said...

I'm not the biggest Disney fan either, I quite like the Lion King and a few later ones but many just leave me cold.

Plus I hate the corruption of stories to be all lovely when the originals were far more horrific (usually the older films), and the way they have "disney'd Merida from Brave is sad to see.

Martyn Kitney said...

It'll definitely be interesting when babypink is old enough if she'll follow the Disney Princess route.

Martyn Kitney said...

I agree. It's interesting to see the guys views are similar to mine. Maybe it's a guy thing! And the girls fall into the princess/prince happy endings.
I have never really enjoyed the Disney'd way of things. I quite like Saving Mr Banks as a child I loved the Mary poppins books so could completely see travers stance on the Disney way.
I am determined though to get as much Disney in this month to see if it makes a difference.

jeremy@thirstydaddy said...

DisneyWorld in FL is my favorite place in the world. I go at least every few years. The movies are OK. Better than some of the garbage my daughter wants to watch

Martyn Kitney said...

I agree with the fact that there is far more worse things that kids watch. I don't mind the boys watching Disney films. There's a couple that they really love.

Gary Mathews said...

Most Disney movies I am a fan of, Disney itself no way. Ex wife was the biggest fanatic in the world and I had to sell organs to go visit Mr. Mouse's magical hideaway a couple of times. It is geared more towards girls then boys, when was the last big budget male prince? It's always the princesses!

Martyn Kitney said...

Lol well I hope they weren't useful organs! ;)
I've always felt like it's been geared towards girls than boys. I'd love a male role model. I think that's why I preferred Aladdin and the Lion king